Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Twin Lakes


Twin Lakes

June 28th was the first time I actually tried fishing Twin Lakes. Tried being the key word. Yes, as much luck that I usually have fishing, I do have my off days. There is still lots of snow in the high country yet and I do like the roads to dry out a bit before I hit the high mountain roads so as not to chew them up in their soft state.

I zeroed the odometer at the old rail line just past the airport on Highway 97 heading out from Penticton. Just past the Kaleden Junction I turned right at Km. 9 on the White Lake Road. The road winds through the forested area until Km 13.6 where the exit to the Saint Andrews by the Lake Golf course gate is on the right. This is a nice little course with one nice hole with the green on an island.

At Km 16.4 the White Lake Astrosphysical Observatory is of to the left. This is open to the public in July and August with guided tours on the weekends. From here to Twin Lakes the country become open with sagebrush covered hills. At 17.2 Km the Fairview - White Lake Road heads off to the left.

The next intersection is at Km 23.3 where the Twin Lakes Road takes off to the Right. Keep to the left on the White Lake Road, then stay right at the Grand Oro Road. Then at Km 24.5 turn right on the East View Road you are soon down to the public access area at Km. 25.4. Be aware that the landing tends to be very loose and you often see where vehicles spin their wheels and have difficulty getting back out.

Putting the canoe in the water I spent two hours in the early evening trailing a shrimp and then a white and red spoon with just one weak strike on each. This in spite of the slow but steady rises around the lake. What fish that broke the surface looked like they may have been carp which I’ve heard inhabit the lake along with the annually stocked rainbow and brook trout.

All in all a pleasant outing, but never far from a home as the lake shore is about two thirds developed.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! A location I am reasonably familiar with :-) Any chance saskatoon berries are ripening up that way yet? Guess I should go check!

    Enjoyed your post - as always

    ReplyDelete