Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Horne Lake



Horne Lake

     Horne Lake is very close to Twin Lakes. Instead of turning right onto the Eastview Road, just keep straight ahead for 1.2 km. Here you will reach a landing with an old cattle chute. There is a road that goes down to the  lake, but it is private. I just portaged the canoe down the bank and through the bush to the lake, not all that easy, but do able. Coming back up was a little slower with a few rest breaks.

     I was going by my old records which showed an annual stocking of 300 rainbow trout per year. Thinking with a low stocking rate, there might be some fair sized fish here as this is similar to several other lakes that produce well. For over two hours I tried my favorite flies and a white and red lure with the possibility of one strike, but it might have been a snag on a weed. Not one fish was observed rising.

     Once back home I check the latest stocking records and found out that this lake has not been stocked in recent years. Possibly now all gone due to winter kill. There is a species of rainbow trout that does spawn along the shore instead of a creek. Perhaps, it would be interesting to try such a strain in the many small lake in the Southern Interiour that are virtually land locked.

     If anyone has had luck here in the last few years, I would appreciate you letting me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment