Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tracking Snow

Tracking Snow

Hunting season is upon us and all die hard hunters long for those special days when we get a dusting of tracking snow. You know the fresh snow that is not too powdery, but that holds a track well. Less chance of an big game animal getting away wounded. But that’s another subject.

Years back when I was working at OK Welders Supplies, I worked with Bob C. (yeah another Bob), who talked a good hunt. Not having a regular hunting partner at the time, I figured why not go out with him.
Early in the predawn I pick him up at his hotel and we were out at Barslow Canyon just as it was beginning to get light. Sure enough the snow just stopped falling and we spotted some fresh tracks at the bottom of the loop. I back up off the road and we sat for a minute planning the hunt.

“You follow the tracks,” I said, “and I’ll keep a few hundred yards off to the side and follow you. When it tries to slip by you I should be in good position.”

Off Bob went and started up the hill following the tracks slowly ready for anything. I set of up the hill too, keeping my eyes on his progress through the breaks in the trees, keeping far enough distance to give the deer a chance to try to slip between us. After about half an hour, Bob starts circling a tree and looking up. Finally I had to find out what was up. “What’s going on Bob?” I called just loud enough for him to hear.
“It’s gone. Its disappeared” the call came back. Very strange I figured. So down through the little draw and to Bob’s side I went. Sure enough the tracks ended up in the bare patch under the large Douglas Fir. A quick look at the tracks revealed why though. Bob had been tracking the deer backwards to where it had bedded down for the night.

Remember, even with the good tracking snow to keep a keen eye on the tracks and good luck this season.

2 comments:

  1. That's so funny!

    I remember one time when John and Mike and I were with you hunting, and you got that spike buck. I was tagging along at the rear as we followed it, and when I looked up at one point I realized that I wasn't following the same track ... I think you were following print tracks ... but I'd seen the blood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a good laugh from this story. It brings to mind some pretty funny hunting stories from my past. thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete