Friday, November 16, 2012

Survival Shills...and introduction


Survival Skills


Even children need to understand the principles of survival. I remember vividly an experience at Nickel Plate when I was seven. I had been skiing and arrived home very cold: so cold that I could not open the door with my frozen fingers. I could not even open the door with my wrists and my fingers were to numb to undo my clothing to place them next to my skin for warmth, or even to relieve myself.

Fortunately, before I slipped into hypothermia, Mum arrived from the hill and I was let into the house. A long warm bath, hot chocolate, hot meal and a good night’s sleep and I was a good as new.

Mental preparedness is the essential ingredient for survival. One has to be alert to any harmful situation and be prepared for the appropriate actions. It is often the small things like numb fingers that can make the difference in many situations. Be very aware of your condition and take the appropriate steps to keep warm.

The first things in any survival kits are fire starting implements, water-proof matches, fire starter sticks (or short candles), and a wind proof lighter. Don’t wait until you need to use your fire starting skills, but practice them whenever you go on an outing. One could also use flints and strikers, bow and drill or rubbing two sticks together, but these do take lots of practice. Besides being edible (not always palatable) horsehair moss is usually an excellent fire starter, but burns very fast and one needs to have a good supply of dried twigs to get it kick started.

Water is also very important, perhaps even more important than food. (I love my food though)  There are several light weight and compact water filter systems on the market that are suitable for backpacking. Water purification tablets are also easy to carry and use, but be sure to follow directions. Melting snow in the mouth is not a great way to get one’s supply of water it robs the body of heat: it is much better to melt it over a fire.

A bright orange plastic bag can be easily spotted by searchers and may be used to collect rainwater and dew in an emergency. A cell phone is good for calling for help, but there are many blank spots with no reception. There are new GPS gadgets that with a push of a button send out a call for help with your position plotted. Of course there is also the old standby of three puffs of smoke.

If you happen to be with a vehicle the advice is usually to stay with the vehicle; it does offer some protection and is usually easier to spot from the air. Whatever your situation, the crucial thing is when you are expected back and when would the search begin and most crucially do they know the location to search. If at all possible give as accurate plan of your travel as possible. This not always easy then hunting as conditions change so fast at times.(New logging roads, fires, and weather conditions)

An injury to yourself or one of the party also calls for some fast decisions. A good knowledge of first aid can be of great help in making this choice. I do recommend either keeping up with taking refresher courses on a regular basis or at least studying the book once in a while.

Knowing what to do and applying your knowledge is the test. I like to imagine I’m lost and always look for fuel for fires, possible shelter and for wild edibles. I recommend “Food Plants of British Columbia Indian part 2/ Interior Peoples” by Nancy J. Turner for some interesting reading.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have you go through my pack and tell me what I'm missing for survival gear in my bug out bag ... I'm off on Monday and if I get the chance maybe I can sit down and go through it all, sending you the list in an email so you can give me your input! (I do have a book about plants in the pack, made sure to pack the one which starts off with a pictorial guide, since I usually wouldn't know what a plant is called to look it up, but could go through the guide looking for a picture of it!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, our pocket chains saws arrived today ... nice and compact, two different types of handles to use with it depending on the job at hand. I'll have to try it out this weekend and lop some branches off the plum trees and cut down some of the baby plum trees. I'll let you know how it works! (We got one for each of us, so one can be slipped into each pack in case we get separated while up in the hills. I've been trying to go for redundancy on important items!)

    ReplyDelete