Sunday, August 12, 2012

Belly Boating Disasters


Belly Boating Disaster

            What else can I say to describe my first two belly boating outings. Both were at Chute Lake north east of Naramata. My first trip out was a short one. Lesson number one: when trying on foot wear and the chest waders, use the same footwear you will be using while out on the water. My footwear would not go over the waders, so I’ve already a small hole in one of the soles.

            Well, into the water just the same. Only this time I get about 15 meters out and a fin flips off of one foot. Try as I might I could not locate the fin and my first outing was cut short.

            Now with a new pair of fins, I try everything on at home. Everything checks out, so off to Chute Lake I head again. This will surely be better than last week.

            Everything seems to be working fine, I’ve been out on the lake for a couple of hours, but the fishing is slow. Suddenly, I give another kick and groan as another fins slips off my foot and into the depths. Looking down the lake it is time to start limping back to the launching site. I am in no hurry, but after another half hour passes, the second fin comes off and sinks into the lake.

            Slowly now I scull towards the landing site using my hands stopping occasionally to cast. Score now two outings, two fish to the belly boat, one keeper not landed as I did not have a net, three fins at the bottom of the lake.

            Next time I am out belly boating I will have a cord attaching the fins to my ankle. I would also recommend a careful selection of your belly boat. On this particular belly boat one of the air chambers is very difficult to inflate and deflate. It is best if you can see a model displayed so you can check out rod holder and tackle compartments.

            Staggering out of the water with partially filled chest waders also brings home the importance of using a personal floatation device.
            I do miss my canoe

1 comment:

  1. Poor Daddy. I hope that you were wearing your personal floatation device, or that you will for future trips out on the water.

    ReplyDelete