Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Yellowbells



Yellowbell


Ah!  Spring  is in the air and I can not help but think of wild edibles. The yellowbell while not as plentiful as the spring beauty is a particular favorite of mine. It is a perennial usually about 8 to 10 inches tall with a few long slender leaves at the base of the stem. The yellow bell nodding gracefully on the slender stem. The bulbs can be up to a 1-1/2 inches long in several cloves and surrounded by small bulblets. These bulblets are usually what I find. These have a pleasant nutty flavor and are great eaten alone or in a salad.


These are found in the dry grasslands in the Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys. Blossoming time is usually from April to May, but at a higher elevation and cooler temperatures may be found into June. Moderation is the key when harvesting this tasty morsel as with any wild crop. If abundant it could be dried, although I personally prefer them raw or lightly boiled

2 comments:

  1. I don't really remember harvesting and eating yellow bells, although I remember seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had no idea! I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete