Sunday, February 5, 2012

Access issues

Access Issues

There is a notice to hunters in this years hunting regulations that caught my eye. Which I quote here. “ In order to protect sensitive alpine habitat, the Ministry of environment is considering restriction motorized vehicles (except snowmobiles) from travelling off established roads and trails in the alpine (above 1700m elevation0 in Region 8. Written comments on this proposed regulation can be sent to Brian Harris at the Ministry of Environment office in Penticton, 102 Industrial Place, B. C. V2A 7C8

Generally I agree with the intent of the proposed regulations and I do think you and I as the public using these areas do need to offer our input.

What concerns me is who then decides which roads and trails are established. While I can hike great distance and over tough terrain, what about those less able. We have all seen access roads and trails destroyed by logging, mining or other developments. Years ago there was a beautiful trail from the Kettle Valley Railway to Ratnip Lake, over a rickety bridge over a small streams and swamp and through fern lined sections of trail. This trail was obliterated by logging in the area and the next time I was in we had to search through a tangle of fallen trees to relocate the last section of the trail.

These old roads also provide access to the top of places like Apex mountain where one can enjoy snowball fights as late as July or just have a picnic lunch and enjoy the machinery. But these eco-systems are very fragile and I do agree that vehicles should keep to the old roads and trails as much as possible. There is nothing so disheartening as climbing to a beautiful mountain meadow only to find it torn up with Quads and four wheel drives.

I do use a four wheel drive vehicle and expect in another 40 years I will need a quad to get into my old haunts, however, we all must do our part to protect the unique experiences that draws us to the hills. If we all share these areas responsibly we will have them to use well into the future.

I am glad that most of the Kettle Valley Railway is still open to all modes of traffic. Each time I listen to a complain that it should be restricted to hikers, I look with sadness across the table at my wife. She did so enjoy the great outdoors and hiked into places like Brent Mountain, Little White Mountain and the Cathedrals. Just after she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and now it is hard for her to even ride into the hills with me. Let us continue to think of those who are not as physically capable and do not deny them access to the beauty of our alpine areas and back country.

The Agur family and Agur Lake Society have the right idea with their project at Agur Lake, I whole heartedly endorse their efforts. For more information e-mail
agurlakecamp@shaw.ca or phone 250-8809-7130.

1 comment:

  1. How to balance access and wilderness protection ... it can be hard to decide where exactly the lines get drawn.

    I'm sad to hear about the trail into Ratnip Lake. I've told Maxx about it multiple times and always said if we were up visiting on a leisurely visit, it would be nice to hike in (just keep out of that smelly smelly mud!)

    ReplyDelete