Monday, January 9, 2012

Locating Lakes

Locating Lakes

Its that time of the year when if you are not an ardent ice fisherman or into other winter sports, one dreams of next seasons fishing trips.

Got that out of the way new lake in mind, but are unsure how to get there? The last few weeks I've been ironing out some problems with my computer, but I think I'm up and running now. Here's my solution.

I have located the lake using Google Earth. This shows a maze of back country roads in the general area of Heart Lake, (the first one I'm going to try to locate) I slowly work my way back to the main road makng print outs as I go. On each print out, I mark important intersections with map co-ordinates. It is important to remember that maps of all these areas are never completely up to date and that they do not show the conditions of the roads.

Next summer I will take these maps and co-ordnates and with my GPS will get to about a kilometer and a half from the lake before setting of hiking with the lake programed into the GPS.

The last few years I have located several lakes in this manner. Some with fabulous fishing and others that I am sure would produce well if they were stocked once in a while. Can not think of a better method of mosquito control than having all these small lakes stocked with either rainbow or brook trout.

Happy dreams of tight lines and fish sizzling in a frying pan over a campfire.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a good trip into that new lake, Dad ... looking forward to hear how the trip goes with the printouts of roads/intersections with co-ordinates and the last leg in with the lake on GPS works.

    Wouldn't it be lovely to have less mosquitos in the summer? I must admit that if there's even just a few in the house in the summer I end up swearing quite a bit, asking them as I swat them away why they couldn't at least stay away from my face, or land so I can smack 'em!

    ReplyDelete