Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Stinky Lake Trail

Stinky Lake East trail head

Stinky Lake

Stinky Lake West Trail Head

Stinky Lake Trail

The Stinky Lake Trail is quite different than the river channel trail. It is a hike that gives you a good workout. Take lots of water, as there is no drinkable water source here. The Oliver trailhead at the Western end of 107th Street leads through a fence to a steep ascent on loose gravel. There are many side trails just begging to be explored, but I first wanted to hike right through to the Fairview - White Lake Road.

This uphill section has great views of Oliver and the valley as it passes through the rough desert country with some sage, bunch grass and a fair number of Ponderosa Pines and the odd Douglas Fir. Early in April the buttercups, yellow bell bulbs were already starting to bloom; spring beauties (fairy potatoes) would soon follow, as I understand will the wild onions.

There were lots of deer tracks in the dust (even a few snake tracks) and I was lucky enough to spot twenty mule deer, likely does. There is also lots of sign of ATV traffic and trail bike traffic, particularly at the western end near the Fairview - White Lake Road. I am not against their use, but it does bother me to see the hillsides torn up unnecessarily. Used with proper respect they do not need to create this damage.

I kept to the main trail up to the top and bypassed the one over to the water tower, making a note of the one leading off to the communication tower and helipad to check out on the way back. This was at the 1.27 km. mark. The top was about 1.4 km and then the decent began to Stinky Lake and the Fairview - White Lake Road. I likely could have taken a right at the fence just near the top, which would have been a bit longer, but easier walking.

As it was I had some fairly steep descents, as I took the right hand track at the first intersection on the way down. Reaching the bottom of the second steep incline I went left down a step section, crossed a track and climbed up hill before dropping down to Stinky Lake.

From Stinky Lake there was just one more little hill and incline before the trail levelled out and headed for the trailhead on the Fairview White Lake Road. Here there is actually more room for easy parking and the trip in is not quite so strenuous. Total distance on this route was just less than 3.5 km.

Heading back, I took a little road that branched off to the right at Stinky Lake. This wound around and crossed the original track I had taken before circling back and splitting. Keeping to the right I was soon back to the track I had taken in so I retraced my steps back to the helipad trail. I reckon if I had taken the left hand track it would have been easier walking up to the top near the fence line.

The trail to the helipad is just under .4 km and here you again get great views of the valley. Apparently this pad is used for training purposes by the flight school. From this point you could head back to the main trail or head down a steep trail for just over .4 km to meet up with the main trail. This was the route I chose and yes, found quite a few bottles where the ATVs had not been. Please remember to carry in and carry out.

Good news! Just this spring charges were laid against a person mud bogging through this sensitive area. Keep up the good work.
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear that action was taken against someone tearing up our wilderness!

    ReplyDelete