Thursday, March 31, 2011

Divide Lake


Divide Lake

Fishing in the driving snow reminded me why I like to fish these high mountain lakes a little earlier in the season. Here it was the 5th of October and my hands were nearly numb, time to think of either lighting a fire or heading home. Looking at the time I chose the latter.

I had left home at 10 AM on my first trip into Divide Lake in Okanagan Mountain Park in over 20 years. It took about 45 minutes from Penticton city centre to the parking lot. Taking the Chute Lake Road, I passed Glen Fir and then turned off to the left to the south parking lot, which was nearly vacant: only one ATV, probably someone hunting deer. The bridge over Chute Creek, the two picnic tables and outdoor loo all survived the Okanagan Mountain Fire.

I headed up the Mountain Goat Trail toward Divide Lake, the first section which is also the trail to Gemil Lake. This first section was only partially affected by the fire and I quickly (355 M)came to the split in the path and kept to the left on the Mountain Goat trail. Soon I began to climb in earnest and was surrounded by charred trunks, remnants of the Okanagan Mountain fire. Fortunately the trail has been cleared of falling snags for the most part, only two new ones had fallen since.

The lower section has an over abundance of young seedlings, and promises to be really thick in a few years. It would be a good idea to carry a folding bow saw for a few years as I imagine each year will see a few more of the snags falling over the track. The trail for the most part is easy to follow although very faint in a few sections, but by observing the florescent triangular markings and rock cairns near the trail one should have no trouble following it to the lake.

Once well into the trail it becomes apparent why it was called the Mountain Goat trail as it has some steep sections and goes over a lot of rocky terrain. At times it seems a little unfair that in order to go up, there are some down hill sections to contend with, but in the end it is all worthwhile.

At last I reached an old road(4.6Km): one direction was signposted 5 km to Baker Lake (This I hope to do next year) the other way was a short distance to Divide Lake. Arriving at the lake at 1:15 PM I was happy to see the cabin and two picnic tables as well as the outdoor loo had survived the fire. (Total for the hike 5.08 Km)

After a quick snack and drink, I spent the next hour prowling the edge looking for ways down off the high rocky banks to try my luck at fishing. Using my favourite fly for about 20 minutes I managed to land one rainbow about ten inches long. Switching to a small red and white spoon I had a little better luck for the next two minutes. I landed four more between 10 and 12 inches and had several more strikes. These were sturdy little fighters and lots of fun on my light tackle.
 
Heading up I had been in a light sweat most of the way, but as I left the lake in the snow storm I kept my heavy plaid shirt on. While going up is hard on the legs and lungs at times, going down is a bit harder on these older knees. Thankfully, years ago l learned how to walk mountain trails and terrain: one quick glance at the trail to determine the steps and then eyes scanning ahead for markers and game.

The hike out to the parking lot took just under two hours, then just the short drive home and I was able to prepare a couple of fish for a feed the next night.

Comments or suggestions always welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment